I have chosen to develop a theme depicting changing colour and light throughout the seasons, having researched examples mainly from Impressionism and Fauvist movements. I started looking at portraying light and shade. I chose a wooded landscape (from my own photograph) producing four simple pen and wash drawings. This progressed to using mixed media (acrylic and masking tape), in a series of abstract tree groupings, and then sunrise/reflection studies. I then developed samples based on a kaleidoscope –symmetrical patterns showing the seasons in the form of trees viewed looking up the tree, through the tree canopy, to the sky.
My primary research was mainly from my own photographs, as shown in my sketchbook examples – these informed my thinking regarding colours and light. I have also visited several galleries and exhibitions in recent months including the John Moores Exhibition (Walker Art Gallery), Tate Liverpool, and a couple of local art galleries. My secondary research was via various websites, in particular the Tate, using Google to research artists and themes, and library books.
Throughout this unit I have mainly used acrylic paints. This was my first experience with this medium and I like the strong bold colours of acrylic and the method of working with opaque and thick paint. I have also used collage (tree and sky studies), and pastel (chalk and oil). The sky studies were achieved with a thin acrylic (plenty of water added to paint). The roller work on the tree studies and abstracts was achieved with thick, impasto style paint, which I was able to scrape and blend with a plastic card to achieve the results.
My research has widened my understanding of how famous artists have used and developed the theme of seasons – light, weather, atmosphere, etc. It has influenced my style in making me look at negative spaces and shadows as an intricate part deserving of particular attention. I have always liked a loose painting style which has fewer, bold brush strokes with an open feel, rather than an intricately worked and detailed piece and I have enjoyed trying to work towards this in the project.
I feel my work has developed and I am pleased with the results. I have never looked for abstraction in my work before this course or even thought about it! I have enjoyed abstraction and semi-abstraction as it appeals to how I like to work, and this has helped me with broadening my approach. I am gaining a greater understanding of tone and colour and some samples have shown me what doesn’t work as well.
I would like to improve on my tonal qualities and achieving different effects within a painting, being able to create depth and harmony in my samples and a better understanding of the principles behind this.
This photo story gives a flavour of my work produced for this unit.
No comments:
Post a Comment