Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Evaluation of my work with the figure and sketchbook

This unit gave me a great opportunity to experience consistent practice in life drawing, which was very much a first for me.  Having always avoided putting any sign of human presence in my work, I wanted to come to it with an open mind. In my research I initially found very few artists, historical or contemporary, whose work I could relate to as something I actually would hang on my own wall.  Now, on having experienced the difficulties of portraying the human form for myself, I can at least appreciate the challenges and triumphs of those who try. 

On reflection, I’ve treated the full colour work as I would a landscape, and tried to define the image interestingly with tone and colour. I also enjoyed experimenting with the diverse representation of ‘the figure’ as has been the intent for many artists, past and present. I researched Hockney for his modern interpretation of people and their lives, and sculptor Stephen Broadbent for the challenges of depicting the figure in the arena of public art; an arena that is open more than most to mass and daily critique from everyone who passes by.  Left is my semi abstract interpretation of Stephen Broadbent's sculpture outside of Chester's Town Hall 'The Celebration of Chester' from my sketchbook.

 My secondary research has been via the intranet and library to see what current trends were emerging as well as historical influences. In looking at how to develop related work as a student artist I have looked at a variety of figurative images and found an excellent source from a photo shoot of the Olympic swimming team which I hope to develop further. Primary resource included visit to the Alex Katz exhibition, 105 (approx!) studies of our patient life model, and self portrayal, in the absence of anyone else.

I have taken the opportunity to try to use a wide range of materials and techniques and these have included ink and wash, acrylic, watercolour, water soluble pencil, graphite, charcoal, pastels (chalk and oil), digital manipulation.

I enjoy watercolour as I like its subtlety, immediacy and freshness, and was pleased with some of the outcomes eg swimmers, joiners. I continue to find acrylics a challenge but have found the medium useful in my final full colour pieces in being able to take time to blend and give texture to the tones of the model.
As I have said previously, my understanding and appreciation of life drawing has benefitted greatly from the practical work of this unit. It has given an opportunity that I never thought I would have, and my confidence in tackling the human form has definitely grown.



Considering I avoid doing figure representations, I have approached it as any other subject in trying to be accurate and at the same time developing my own response and style,  something which has come a long way and continues to improve.  Improvement would come with more work in colour and practice in working large and more loosely, which is my aim in my work in general. 

Has my research influenced or inspired?  It certainly has.  It has given me confidence and I have been able to use a variety of sources, modern and historic (see sketchbook).

What is good about my work and what can be improved?   I have a good sense of proportion and as I have said previously, I would like to become freer with my interpretation and push the boundaries more, and in my work overall.

Influences – I hope I have shown that I can relate to other artists work as well as trying my own version and interpretation.  I liked Renoir’s fresh and natural work, and my final colour pieces have benefitted from this research. (photo on left is an extract from my sketchbook, Renoir 'After the Bath).

No comments:

Post a Comment